Acute Ligament injury, ACL injuries, Postero-lateral corner (PLC) Injuries, Knee Surgery and return to sport.
On Episode 29 of the Physio Edge podcast, David Pope is joined by the Australian Socceroos Physio Kurt Lisle, a Specialist Sports Physiotherapist to discuss assessment and management of Acute knee injuries.
On this podcast, David and Kurt discuss:
- Acute Ligament Injuries - Initial management
- When to refer for Orthopaedic consult
- Bracing/not bracing
- Adolescent knee injuries - when to refer for XR to check for an avulsion injury
- Swelling during and after treatment
- ACL injury - when to trial conservative management and when to refer for surgery
- Timeframes for surgery following ACL injury
- Different types of ACL grafts - pros and cons
- Hamstring vs ITB tendon vs Patella tendon
- Open chain X’s eg leg extensions to restore quads and patellar tendon load capacity?
- Important aspects of post op rehab
- Return to training/change of direction criteria
- RTP criteria
- Details of PLC injuries
- Structures normally injured
- Testing for PLC injuries
- Conservative vs surgical
- Rehab guidelines
- RTP timeframes
Links of Interest