Plantaris tendinopathy and compression of Plantaris on the Achilles has been shown to play a role in some cases of Achilles Tendinopathy, slowing down their rate of rehabilitation progress.
Dr Christoph Spang is a Biologist and Sports Scientist, and completed a PhD on “The plantaris tendon in relation to the Achilles tendon in midportion Achilles tendinopathy”. In this podcast we discuss the interaction of Plantaris in patients with midportion Achilles Tendinopathy, including:
- Why consider Plantaris in Achilles Tendinopathy patients?
- How can Plantaris cause or be involved in Achilles pain?
- Anatomy, function and role of Plantaris
- What interaction does Plantaris have with the Achilles and calf?
- Do patients with Plantaris involvement respond to a loading program?
- What is the clinical presentation of a patient with Plantaris involvement?
- How can Ultrasound or Ultrasound Tissue Characterisation (UTC) be utilised to identify Plantaris?
- The role of injection therapy
- Surgical treatment
Links of Interest
Out very soon…. Conservative management of Plantaris involvement in Achilles Tendinopathy with Seth O’Neill