The sternoclavicular joint (SCJ) can cause pain locally, or refer into the neck and shoulder. With a relatively high incidence of serious and potentially life-threatening pathology at the SCJ, it’s important to diagnose the source of SCJ pain. In this (Facebook live/video/podcast) with Jo Gibson (Clinical Specialist Physiotherapist), you’ll discover:
- How to identify and diagnose the SCJ as the source of pain.
- Where does the SCJ commonly refer pain to?
- What pathologies cause SCJ pain
- What activities & movements commonly reproduce pain in the SCJ?
- Who develops SCJ pain?
- Which differential diagnosis (DDx) are important to identify, including
- localised osteoarthritis (OA)
- rheumatoid arthritis
- septic arthritis
- atraumatic subluxation
- seronegative spondyloarthropathies
- gout, pseudogout
- SC hyperostosis
- condensing osteitis
- Friedrich’s disease/avascular necrosis
- condensing arthritis
- Friedrich’s disease and
- ‘SAPHO’ (Synovitis Acne Pustulosis Hyperostosis Osteitis) syndrome
- How does DDx impact prognosis?
- What role does imaging have with the SCJ?
- SCJ Imaging - MRI vs CT vs Xray.
- If pain refers down to the anterior chest, what other structures may be involved?
- Tietze syndrome at the costochondral junction.
- Costochondritis - who develops it, is there a mechanism of injury?
- Red flags you need to be aware of around the SCJ
- Case study of an SCJ patient where a potentially life-threatening illness was identified.
- Other red flags - infection, HIV, septic arthritis, diabetes, ankylosing spondylitis, gout.
- What investigations are important for SCJ pain patients?
- What are realistic expectations for prognosis and resolution of SCJ symptoms?
- How can you rehab patients with SCJ pain?
- Costochondral joint pain.
- Rehab following clavicular ORIF
- When is arthroscopic release suitable in frozen shoulder patients
Free video series “Frozen shoulder assessment & treatment” with Jo Gibson
Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson
Improve your assessment and treatment of shoulder pain with the Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson, now available for enrolment at clinicaledge.co/shouldersuccess
Links associated with this episode:
- Get your access to the free video series “Frozen shoulder assessment & treatment” with Jo Gibson
- Improve your shoulder assessment & treatment with the Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson
- Download and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes
- Download the podcast now using the best podcast app currently in existence - Overcast
- Listen to the podcast on Spotify
- Improve your confidence and clinical reasoning with a free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Let David know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Review the podcast on iTunes
- Like the podcast on Facebook
- Infographics by Clinical Edge
- Jo Gibson on Twitter