How can you diagnose posterior shoulder, neck and supraclavicular pain in your weightlifting patients and throwing athletes? Could a bone stress injury be responsible for your patients pain?
Explore how to assess, diagnose and rehab shoulder pain from bone stress injuries in weightlifters or throwing athletes in this podcast with Jo Gibson (Clinical Physiotherapy Specialist). Discover:
- Bone stress injuries in the upper limb and ribcage that cause shoulder pain.
- What causes first rib stress fractures?
- Which patients develop first rib bone stress injuries - common populations and activities.
- Common areas of pain with first rib stress fractures.
- How to assess & diagnose first rib bone stress injuries.
- Common painful and restricted movements that help with diagnosis.
- How to differentiate between a rotator cuff injury and first rib bone stress injuries.
- Cervical spine & shoulder strength and control assessment tests that help identify where to target your rehab.
- Do biomechanics in weightlifting matter?
- How to assess and address weightlifting biomechanics to allow healing and return to sport.
- Why imaging is vital in patients with this injury.
- Common imaging that misses 1st rib bone stress fracture, and what imaging to request that actually identifies it.
- Why non-healing with the formation of pseudoarthrosis may lead to better outcomes than bony callous formation.
- Whether patients can return to sport if rib stress fractures don’t heal.
- How can you rehab patients with 1st rib stress fracture?
- How to progress rehab exercises.
- Treatment when 1st rib callus formation is causing thoracic outlet syndrome.
The handout for this podcast consists of an article referenced in the podcast. There is no additional transcript or handout available.
Free video series “Frozen shoulder assessment & treatment” with Jo Gibson
Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson
Improve your assessment and treatment of shoulder pain with the Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson, now available for enrolment at clinicaledge.co/shouldersuccess
Links associated with this episode:
- Get your access to the free video series “Frozen shoulder assessment & treatment” with Jo Gibson
- Improve your shoulder assessment & treatment with the Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson
- Improve your confidence and clinical reasoning with a free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Join Jo Gibson live on Facebook & ask your shoulder related questions every Monday
- Download and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes
- Download the podcast now using the best podcast app currently in existence - Overcast
- Listen to the podcast on Spotify
- Jo Gibson on Twitter
- Let David know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Review the podcast on iTunes
- Infographics by Clinical Edge