Are vaccinations associated with shoulder pain? Shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA) has received a lot of attention on social media as vaccination levels have increased. If your patient has shoulder pain after a vaccine, what does this mean for treatment?
Also in this podcast, how can you identify non-musculoskeletal causes of shoulder pain related to NSAID use or viscera?
Find out in this podcast with Jo Gibson (Clinical Physiotherapy Specialist).
The handout for this podcast consists of articles referenced in the podcast. There is no additional transcript or handout available.
Free video series “Frozen shoulder assessment & treatment” with Jo Gibson
Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson
Improve your assessment and treatment of shoulder pain with the Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson, now available for enrolment at clinicaledge.co/shouldersuccess
Links associated with this episode:
- Get your access to the free video series “Frozen shoulder assessment & treatment” with Jo Gibson
- Improve your shoulder assessment & treatment with the Shoulder: Steps to Success online course with Jo Gibson
- Improve your confidence and clinical reasoning with a free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Join Jo Gibson live on Facebook & ask your shoulder related questions every Monday
- Download and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes
- Download the podcast now using the best podcast app currently in existence - Overcast
- Listen to the podcast on Spotify
- Jo Gibson on Twitter
- Let David know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Review the podcast on iTunes
- Infographics by Clinical Edge
Articles associated with this episode:
Bancsi A, Houle SK, Grindrod KA. Getting it in the right spot: Shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA) and other injection site events. Canadian Pharmacists Journal/Revue des Pharmaciens du Canada. 2018 Sep;151(5):295-9.
Gonzalez AI, Kortlever JT, Moore MG, Ring DC. Influenza Vaccination Is Not Associated with Increased Number of Visits for Shoulder Pain. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 2020 Oct 1;478(10):2343-8.
Hesse EM, Atanasoff S, Hibbs BF, Adegoke OJ, Ng C, Marquez P, Osborn M, Su JR, Moro PL, Shimabukuro T, Nair N. Shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA): petitioner claims to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, 2010–2016. Vaccine. 2020 Jan 29;38(5):1076-83.
Hibbs BF, Ng CS, Museru O, Moro PL, Marquez P, Woo EJ, Cano MV, Shimabukuro TT. Reports of atypical shoulder pain and dysfunction following inactivated influenza vaccine, Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), 2010–2017. Vaccine. 2020 Jan 29;38(5):1137-43.