When assessing and treating neck pain patients, there are a lot of tests and treatments to choose from. If you choose treatments that aren’t suitable for your patient's presentation, your patient won’t progress, or worse, you’ll aggravate their symptoms. How can you thoroughly assess your neck pain patients, and use the information from your assessment to choose treatments that help improve their pain?
In the first podcast with Specialist Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist, researcher and Emeritus Prof. Gwen Jull 121. Neck pain assessment, clinical reasoning & rehab. Physio Edge podcast with Prof Gwendolen Jull, we discussed questions to ask during your subjective history that help guide your neck pain assessment and clinical reasoning.
In this followup podcast, discover how to accurately assess and effectively treat neck pain with Emeritus Prof. Gwen Jull, including:
Objective examination (OE)
- How to perform a thorough OE to identify why your patient has pain, and the best treatment for each patient.
- How to perform a skilled manual assessment.
- What we can actually identify & diagnose in neck pain patients.
- Whether posture is relevant to neck pain.
- When and how to assess posture.
- How to assess physical impairments, and identify if they’re relevant to a patient's neck pain.
- Which tests you should use to assess:
- How to decide where treatment should start in your initial session.
- Whether manual therapy (MT) is useful in the treatment of neck pain.
- How to tailor and progress your treatment to successfully rehab each patient, and choose between:
- Postural changes
- Strength exercises
- Control exercises
- Craniocervical flexion and extension exercises
- Neurodynamic treatment
- General strength and endurance training
- Exercises for flexibility and range of motion
- Graded activity
- Motor control
- Shoulder girdle strengthening
- Aerobic exercise for general fitness
Links associated with this episode:
- 121. Neck pain assessment, clinical reasoning & rehab. Physio Edge podcast with Prof Gwendolen Jull
- iTunes - Download and follow the podcast
- Overcast - Download the podcast in Overcast
- Spotify - Listen to the podcast on Spotify
- Download the infographic handout for this podcast
- Cervical spine assessment & treatment for neck pain & upper limb symptoms - available with a free trial membership
- Cervical radiculopathy assessment & treatment case study available with a free trial membership
- Comprehensive, practical training to improve your skills, clinical reasoning, treatment results & confidence with a free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Prof Gwen Jull
- Management of Neck Pain Disorders: a research informed approach 1st Edition, by Gwendolen Jull, Deborah Falla, Julia Treleaven, Shaun O'Leary, and foreword by Jeremy S Lewis
- Let David know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Follow and review the podcast on iTunes
- Infographics by Clinical Edge