Patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA) often believe their knee is “bone on bone”, exercises will wear out their knee more and they just need a knee replacement. This narrative can make it difficult to motivate your patients to perform knee rehab exercises that have the potential to improve their pain, function and quality of life.
How can you shift the narrative, educate your patients with knee OA so they “buy in” and perform an effective knee rehab program, and get better results with your treatment?
In this podcast with Dr JP Caneiro you’ll discover:
- How to start your patient on a rehab program when they have fear avoidance, and don’t want to exercise.
- How to help patients have a positive response to your treatment, experiencing better movement, function or pain with exercise and movement.
- How to encourage your patient to share their narrative and perspective, so you can start addressing this with your treatment.
- How to accurately describe OA to your patients and provide a positive narrative.
- How to help patients recognise load and lifestyle factors that are influencing their pain and movement.
- How to modify patients’ unhelpful behaviours and integrate new movement strategies into daily activities.
- How to manage flareups and provide patients with self-management strategies.
Enjoy this podcast with Dr JP Caneiro and hosted by David Pope and Clinical Edge now to improve your treatment of knee OA.
- Dr JP Caneiro on Twitter
- David Pope on Twitter
- Improve your musculoskeletal and sports injury assessment & treatment results with a free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Explain acute and persistent pain to your patients, without giving them the message “It’s all in your head” with the Making sense of pain training module
- Comprehensive low back pain assessment & treatment training module
- David Pope at Clinical Edge
- Dr JP Caneiro at Body Logic
- Dr JP Caneiro on ResearchGate
- How to choose exercises that improve patients pain with David Toomey
- Cervical radiculopathy, central sensitisation, achilles tendinopathy, hip & groin pain, and strength testing with Paula Peralta, Simon Olivotto, Nick Kendrick & David Toomey
- Strength training & treating knee osteoarthritis with Dr Claire Minshull
- "Sore but not stuffed" - understanding and explaining your patients pain with Dr Tim Mitchell and Dr Darren Beales