Posterior hip pain can have a number of causes, with referral from the lumbar spine, SIJ and hip, along with local structures such as the hip joint, gluteals, glute tendons, proximal hamstring tendons. How can you identify the structures involved in your patient's posterior hip pain? What tests can you perform in your objective assessment to assist your treatment? What is the best way to treat the glutes if they are the involved in your patient's pain?
You will discover:
- What are some of the common causes of posterior hip pain?
- Gluteal tendinopathy (GT)
- What area of symptoms will patients with GT report?
- What are the pattern of symptoms for GT?
- What tests can we perform to make GT more or less likely
- How can we treat GT?
- Deep gluteal syndrome (DGS)
- What is deep gluteal syndrome?
- What muscles can be involved in DGS?
- How can we differentiate it from Gluteal tendinopathy?
- What tests can you perform to confirm or exclude DGS?
- How does the treatment for DGS differ to GT?
Benoy is presenting a free webinar with Clinical Edge on "How to assess & diagnose posterior hip and gluteal pain", that complements this podcast, and takes you through the common sources of hip pain, how to identify hip and lumbar spine red flags, and demonstrates exactly how you can perform an assessment to test and differentially diagnose the structures involved in your patients pain.
Ben also presented a webinar with Clinical Edge on how to rehabilitate adductor and psoas related groin pain. The webinar helps you discover:
- Rehabilitation of adductor and psoas related groin pain
- Practical tips
- Common presentations
- Osteitis pubis, sports hernia, hip impingement
- Rehabilitation from initial stages to plyometrics
Links of Interest
- Download and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes
- Download your free podcast handout on how to assess and treat posterior hip and gluteal pain
- Physio Edge podcast 053 Hip and groin pain part 1 - diagnosis, pathology and red flags with Benoy Mathew
- Physio Edge 054 Hip and groin part 2 - assessment and treatment with Benoy Mathew
- Download the free podcast handout for Physio Edge 054 Hip & Groin pain Part 2
- Webinar on groin pain rehabilitation with Benoy
- Benoy Mathew on Twitter
- Benoy Mathew's website and courses
- Access to Ben's webinar on rehabilitation of hip and groin pain, along with all of the Clinical Edge webinars and videos with a free trial membership
- David on Twitter
- <Review the podcast on iTunes
- Like the podcast on Facebook
Articles related to this episode:
- Franklyn-Miller et al (2009)- The Gluteal Triangle: a clinical patho-anatomical approach to the diagnosis of gluteal pain in athletes , BJSM. Open Access Link
- Grimaldi & Fearon (2015)- Gluteal Tendinopathy: Integrating Pathomechanics and Clinical Features in Management, JOSPT. Open Access Link
- Hernando et al (2016)- Evaluation and management of ischio-femoral impingement: a pathophysiologc, radiolgic and therapeutic approach to a complex diagnosis, Skeletal Radiol
- Martin et al (2016)- Deep Gluteal Syndrome, JHPS, Open Access Link
- Martin et al (2016)- Ishiofemoral Impingement and Hamstrings Syndrome, Distal Causes of Deep Gluteal Syndrome. Where do we go next? Clin Sports Med. Open Access Link
- Michel et al (2013)- Piriformis muscle syndrome: Diagnostic criteria and treatment of a mono centricseries of 250 patients, Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- The Copenhagen Hip and Groin Outcome Score (HAGOS): development and validation according to the COSMIN checklist
- Physical Examination of the Hip by Dr. Hal D. Martin