One of the most popular blogposts of all time on Tom Goom's website running-physio.com is on how to manage calf tears in runners. Is this because it is a really common problem, or because Tom wrote such a great blogpost? It's a bit hard to tell, and most likely it's a bit of both, but it begs the question "Why is calf pain one of the issues so many runners face? "
In episode 64 of the Physio Edge podcast, David Pope and Tom Goom discuss the latest research around calf pain in runners and what is actually going on. We want to give you all the tools you need to assess runners that present with calf pain, so we have included this in the episode as well.
If you would like to up your game on calf pain, here are some of the highlights from the podcast:
- What is responsible for calf pain in runners?
- What are the common symptoms?
- What will imaging show (or not show)?
- What happened to chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS)? Does it still exist?
- What is biomechanical overload syndrome, and how is it different to CECS?
- Who are the most likely culprits to experience calf pain?
- How can you assess runners with calf pain?
- What tests should you perform?
- How can you perform a calf capacity test?
Tom Goom and I are releasing free Achilles running rehab videos - a series of three evidence-based videos to get you great results with achilles tendinopathy. These will be out soon, so join us to master Achilles treatment
Links of Interest
- Free Achilles running rehab videos with Tom Goom - a series of three evidence-based videos to get you great results with achilles tendinopathy
- Join the 21 day challenge to improve your exercise prescription skills, confidence and results with rehabilitation of running injuries
- Download your free podcast handout on calf pain in runners
- Tom Goom on Twitter
- Let David Pope know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Review the podcast on iTunes
- Like the podcast on Facebook
- Infographics by Clinical Edge
- Get your free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Tom Goom's website & courses
- Tom on Facebook Live
- Physio Edge 060 Plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - Plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - Plantar fasciopathy imaging & education with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 061 How to assess & diagnose plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - How to assess & diagnose plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 062 How to treat plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - How to treat plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
Research associated with this episode