What are the key components when assessing and treating runners? Should your treatment of running injuries focus on glutes? How can your runners schedule their training to improve recovery?
- The key concepts when assessing and treating running injuries
- Gait retraining programs
- The best ways to change running technique
- Does gait retraining cause fatigue?
- Is gait retraining suitable in painfree runners?
- What are the most important elements to prevent injury in runners?
- Scheduling to improve recovery from injury. When should your runner run, and when should they rest?
- Can we increase leg stiffness when running? Does increasing leg stiffness reduce injury risk?
- Strengthening for runners
- Do glutes become underactive or "not fire properly"?
- Does improving glute strength improve running mechanics?
- Calf tears - how can you treat these?
- What tests can you perform for your runners calves?
- Do runners have "stiff hips", and does it matter?
- Can you help runners with meniscal tears?
- How can you treat ITB syndrome?
- Is barefoot running helpful or harmful?
- Should we run in only 1 shoe if we want to win a race?
Free running injury assessment & treatment video series available now
Links associated with this episode:
- Submit your running-injury related questions for the Physio Edge podcast
- Twitter - @tomgoom
- Let David Pope know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Review the podcast on iTunes
- Like the podcast on Facebook
- Infographics by Clinical Edge
Other episodes of interest:
- Physio Edge 082 Achilles tendinopathy treatment - the latest research with Dr Seth O'Neill
- Physio Edge 076 Footwear advice for running injuries with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 075 Tendinopathy, imaging and diagnosis with Dr Sean Docking
- Physio Edge 068 Lower limb tendinopathy loading, running and rehab with Dr Peter Malliaras
- Physio Edge 042 Treatment of Plantaris & Achilles Tendinopathy with Dr Seth O'Neill
- Physio Edge 041 Plantaris Involvement In Achilles Tendinopathy With Dr Christoph Spang