There are a lot of myths around footwear, and your patients with running injuries will often blame an "incorrect shoe" choice for their injury, or believe that getting the "right shoe" will help resolve an injury. Are running shoes the cause of, and solution to running injuries?
What advice should you give your patients when they ask that inevitable question "Do you think I need to get new shoes?", closely followed by "What shoe do you think I should run in?"
In Physio Edge podcast episode 76 with Tom Goom , you will also discover:
- What footwear should your runners and injured runners wear?
- Footwear questions you need to ask your running injury patients
- Does footwear change gait patterns?
- Can footwear contribute to injury?
- What footwear may contribute to or help in your treatment of Achilles tendinopathy
- What is heel-toe drop and how is this important?
- Does footwear affect ground reaction forces, and how does this relate to bone stress injuries and plantar fasciopathy?
- Is minimalist or barefoot running helpful or harmful?
- Can runners safely transition to barefoot or minimalist running?
- Is footwear the key to resolving running injuries?
- Shoe prescription
- Recommendations when buying new shoes
- Footwear considerations for specific pathologies
- When should runners change their shoes?
To complement this podcast and improve your treatment of runners, Tom Goom and I have created three awesome free Achilles tendinopathy rehab videos. This is a series of three evidence-based videos to help you master Achilles treatment. CLICK HERE to get your free access to these videos
Links of Interest
- Free Achilles tendinopathy rehabilitation in runners videos with Tom Goom - a series of three evidence-based videos to get you great results with achilles tendinopathy
- Download your free podcast handout on footwear advice for running injuries
- Tom Goom on Twitter
- Let David Pope know what you liked about this podcast on Twitter
- Review the podcast on iTunes
- Like the podcast on Facebook
- Infographics by Clinical Edge
- Get your free trial Clinical Edge membership
- Tom Goom's website & courses
- Tom on Facebook Live
- Physio Edge 065 - Differential diagnosis of calf pain in runners with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 064 What is causing calf pain in runners and how can you assess it with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 062 How to treat plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - How to treat plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 061 How to assess & diagnose plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - How to assess & diagnose plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Physio Edge 060 Plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - Plantar fasciopathy in runners with Tom Goom
- Infographic - Plantar fasciopathy imaging & education with Tom Goom
Research associated with this episode
- Esculier et al. 2015. A consensus definition and rating scale for minimalist shoes.
- Fuller et al. 2017. Six week transition to minimalist shoes improves running economy and time-trial performance.
- Kong et al. 2009. Running in new and worn shoes: a comparison of three types of cushioning footwear.
- Mallisoux et al. 2015. Influence of heel to toe drop of standard cushioned running shoes on injury risk in leisure time runners: a randomised controlled trial with 6 month follow up.
- Nigg et al. 2015. Running shoe and running injuries: myth busting and a proposal for two new paradigms: ‘preferred movement path’ and ‘comfort filter’.
- Salzier et al. 2016. Injuries observed in a prospective transition from traditional to minimalist footwear: correlation of high impact transient forces and lower injury severity.